2019 PA-DE ASLA Year in Review
Hello PA-DE ASLA Members:
2019 was a productive year! We made significant progress in advancing the profession of Landscape Architecture. Through our advocacy, Landscape Architects are viewed as influencers and experts in sustainability and green infrastructure. The best way to derive value from your membership dollars is to become involved! Our collective voices are louder than your individual voice.
Each year, PA-DE ASLA leadership and staff spend countless hours and precious energy working on behalf of our members, our professional community, and for the future and sustainability of our environment and our profession.
2019 was particularly productive, and we are proud to have accomplished the following initiatives:
- Engaged eight (8) industry supporters as PA-DE ASLA Commercial Sponsors
- Hosted the 2019 PA-DE ASLA Annual Meeting (The Challenge of Place in Time) in Cranberry, PA
- Recommended PA-DE ASLA member Hallie Boyce for ASLA Fellowship
- Honored nine (9) professional and four (4) student Chapter award recipients
- Welcomed new Executive Committee members: J. Frank Dawson, Vice President and Secretary Thomas Flynn
- Planned and hosted PA-DE ASLA’s first Advocacy Day in Harrisburg, PA, which resulted in enhanced communication with lawmakers, acknowledgement of Landscape Architects as experts in green infrastructure, PA-DE ASLA expert testimony at two stormwater policy meetings, and an invitation for further testimony in 2020.
- Hosted local networking and/or education events in all four Chapter sections
- Established a Student Engagement Committee to dialogue with student members, welcome them into the fold and promote the value of ASLA involvement at the student and emerging professional levels
- Provided scholarships to six (6) PA-DE ASLA student Chapter Presidents in their travel to San Diego and attend their first-ever ASLA Conference on Landscape Architecture
For 2020, we plan to continue the legacy and are committed to keeping our members’ educational and professional interests at the core of all Chapter initiatives.
- On March 25, 2020, the Delaware Section will host its first-ever Advocacy Day at Legislative Hall in Dover. Details coming soon!
- On April 17-18, 2020, we will host the newly renamed PA-DE ASLA Conference on Landscape Architecture at Skytop Lodge in the Poconos! Watch for more information about a new conference format (including a series of “deep dive” sessions) as well as the ever-popular LARE Review Course with Dr. Tom Nieman.
As practicing landscape architects ourselves, we value ASLA and we value your support through your PA-DE ASLA membership. Our strength is in our numbers, but the number one way for you to get the best value for your membership dollar is to take advantage of what PA-DE ASLA has to offer, be an active member of our professional community, and get involved with the organization. The more member engagement we have, the stronger our impact, and the more we can achieve.
Contact PA-DE ASLA at 717-441-6041 or PADEChapterASLA@gmail.com to get involved. We are waiting for you!
Richard Rauso, RLA, ASLA
PA-DE ASLA President